We encourage our students to develop their core social, emotional and self-regulation skills through a variety of learning strategies. Read more.
Pearson Has a Program for Your Child
We believe that children should look forward to going to nursery school each week – a place where they feel safe, happy, involved and able to thrive. At Pearson, families and teachers are constantly collaborating to create an amazing learning environment that achieves this goal.
Pearson Community Co-op Nursery School provides a balanced activity program that reflects a preschool-aged child’s needs and interests:
• Social/Emotional/Language Development: Young children must be able to understand the feelings of others, control their own feelings and behaviours, and get along with their peers. Children need to be able to cooperate, follow directions, and demonstrate self-control. Our teaching staff encourages the development of these skills by consistently guiding the children during play that is part of the program and through our Second Step program.
• Gross Motor Experiences: Working on gross motor skills helps a child gain strength and confidence in his/her body. At Pearson, we help develop these skills by providing opportunities for playing on the outdoor climber, riding tricycles and scooters. Music and movement and kids yoga are also part of our program. Gaining these skills helps a child’s ability to develop more complex skills in future.
• Sensory: Sensory play is a valuable part of the program at Pearson. Children are provided with many sensory opportunities throughout the day. The use of sensory materials allows children the opportunity for hands-on and self-directed play, encouraging social skills, language and self-esteem development.
• Fine Motor Skill Development: Fine motor movements involve the coordination of small muscles in the hands and fingers. Strong fine motor skills are essential to complete tasks such as writing, cutting, using a fork and spoon, threading beads, moving puzzle pieces, zipping and buttoning. At Pearson, these skills are refined on a daily basis by providing many activities that encourage these skills.
• Science table: Science is a way to find out about the world through exploration. Our science table engages the senses and allows the children to sort and classify, handle, observe and ask questions about nature.
• Math: Mathematical thinking is mastered by play. At Pearson, math is embedded into the program. Patterning, exploring shapes, counting, measuring, estimating and sorting are creatively explored through inquiry on a daily basis.
We are pleased to be recognized by Quality First, a quality early learning initiative providing all licensed childcare programs in Halton region with the opportunity to participate in a developmental model for quality improvement.
Pearson believes in offering a high quality nursery school experience to every child, regardless of ability. Learn more.
A Typical Day At Pearson
Circle time, sensory play or arts and crafts - what will your child do today? Learn more.