We are proud to be a part of Quality First, which promotes excellence in early childhood education in Halton. Read more.
Second Step teaches children a variety of core social, emotional and self-regulation skills through the use of 28 weekly themes. Presented on large photo cards, the weekly focus involves five-to-seven minute activities designed to be integrated into the flow of each day. The program is taught through a variety of learning strategies:
- Puppet scripts, featuring Impulsive Puppy and Slow Down Snail
- Stories and discussions based on large colour photos of typical early childhood scenarios
- Skill practices in small groups, done at group time or integrated into daily activities
- Songs that reinforce program skills and concepts
- Visual aids, including a set of 20 feelings photos, three colourful posters, and four Listening Rules cards